Sunday 20 September 2009

'Dexter' Opening

One of my initial ideas I wish to pursuit further is stereotypical views towards obese people. I really like how narrative and emotion is created in the opening to the american TV drama 'Dexter'. However 'Dexter' isn't a short films however aspects of editing, sound, camera and mise-en-scene can be extracted and used in my work. The time frame I am particularly interested in is from 0:43 to 1:19. The director has chosen extreme macro shots of the food and emphasized the action of eating to be very suggestive of violent forms. This allows the audience to relate to the character and the kind of person he is. This is arguably more effective than showing realistic shots of violence. Suggestive ideas are also common in Kurbrick's 1962 film 'Loleta' and are believed to be more influential than seeing the actual act.


In addition to the camera work the sound in the opening to 'Dexter' works well with the narrative and editing. The contrapuntal music helps to emphasis the representation of 'Dexter' character. This is very effective in the TV show as the character of Dexter is a lovable psychotic serial killer. I wish to take influence from this opening and use it in my representations of obese children. I wish to change it slightly by emphasizing the diegetic sound.



0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds